Guild Wars: Eye of the North
Brand the Bosses 2007 Contest
Check back for the winners on July 31st!
The first expansion pack from ArenaNet®—Guild Wars: Eye of the NorthTM—will hit shelves in the third quarter of 2007. Although primarily set in the northern reaches of Tyria, Eye of the North has cultural and historical ties to both Cantha and Elona as well. As players traverse these lands and delve deep inside the dungeons of GW:EN, they will encounter horrific creatures of all kinds. Each will be a master of one of the ten professions: Assassin, Dervish, Elementalist, Mesmer, Monk, Necromancer, Paragon, Ranger, Ritualist, and Warrior. Some of these creatures may be familiar, such as the Charr, but others will be strange and wondrous beings never seen before.
The Guild Wars team would like to invite players from around the world to participate in the 2007 "Brand the Bosses" Contest. This monster-naming competition will allow Guild Wars fans to dream up creative names for boss monsters. All names submitted will be considered by the designers as possible boss monster handles for use in the Guild Wars: Eye of the North expansion.
So, thinking back on such stylish monikers as Plexus Shadowhook, Bonfaaz Burntfur, Razorfang Hazeclaw, Selwin the Fervent, and Mirash Dreambreaker, attach a Rune of Clarity to your thinking cap and devise a name for a new boss. Send us your single best idea, and we will choose at least ten from all entries to incorporate into Guild Wars: Eye of the North. Players whose names are chosen will receive website recognition and spiffy Guild Wars gifts, too!
Guild Wars Contest FAQ:
You may have questions about the contest rules, about eligibility, or about any number of things concerning this or future contests. Please check the new Guild Wars Contest FAQ for answers to those questions.
Official Rules and Conditions:
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- Submit your boss monster name via email. Names will be accepted in any language supported in the game: Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Polish, Russian, and Spanish. (For ease of judging, please send an English-language translation of your suggested name if you are submitting a non-English name. If a non-English name is selected, the team will do its best to retain that name in its original language while localizing it for the other supported languages.)
- Names should be appropriate for a global audience, and for players of all ages and cultures.
- Names should be at least two words, as in the examples above.
- Include your first and last name, your age, and your city, state or province, postal code (if any), and country in the email. This information should be provided in the appropriate format to allow us to mail your prize if you are a winner. (For example, format the name and address as you would on a mailing label.)
- If you are a winner and would prefer to be listed by your in-game name, please note that preference on your entry and provide your in-game name.
- Submit your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org using "Brand the Bosses 2007 Contest" as the subject line.
- Any form of entry other than that described herein is void.
- At least Ten (10) winning names will be selected. Those names will be incorporated into the retail version of Guild Wars: Eye of the North at release or soon thereafter, and each contestant who submitted a winning name will receive a prize or set of prizes, as follows:
- The ten (10) winners will receive their choice of a copy of Guild Wars Nightfall (standard edition) signed by the Guild Wars Development Team or the full Guild Wars Skill Pin Set #1. With either of those prizes, they will also receive a code for an in-game miniature. (Approximate prize package retail value $50.00 each.)
- Up to twenty (20) honorable mentions may also be cited at the discretion of the judges. Honorable mentions will be listed by name on the website, and their monster name may be incorporated into the game at the release of Eye of the North or in the future. Honorable Mention recipients will receive two random pins from Guild Wars Skill Pin Set #1 along with a code for an in-game miniature. (No retail value.)
- Up to seventy (70) finalists may also be cited at the discretion of the judges. Finalists will be listed by name on the website and will receive a code for an in-game miniature. (No retail value.)
- Limit of one name per contestant and one prize per household. Multiple entries will result in disqualification.
- Originality: Entries must be the creation of the contestant and cannot be taken from any other source. Your submission must not infringe on any patent, copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right, or any privacy, publicity or publishing rights of any third party, or be libelous, obscene or otherwise contrary to law.
- Eligibility (age): As of May 15, 2007, North American contestants must be 13 years of age or older. Due to legal requirements, European contestants must be 18 year of age or older as of that date, or must have a parent or guardian enter in the minor's name.
- Eligibility (exclusions): Employees of ArenaNet Inc., NCsoft Europe Ltd., and NCsoft Corporation (collectively, "Sponsor"), and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives, contractors, advertising, promotion and publicity agencies and members of the immediate families (defined as parents, children, siblings and spouse, regardless of where they reside) or households of such employees are not eligible.
- Eligibility (location): Entries will be accepted from residents of North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. (US Exceptions: the State of Rhode Island, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories, military installations and commonwealths. Canadian Exceptions: Quebec.) (Canadian residents will be required to answer an additional mathematical question in order to claim their prize.)
- Prize: There are one hundred (100) prizes available. Each winner and honorable mention recipient will have his/her submitted monster name posted on the official website soon after judging takes place along with the contestant's name or in-game name. Finalists will be listed on the website by name or in-game name. In addition, at least ten of the winning monster names will be incorporated into the game, and winners, honorable mentions, and finalists will receive prizes as outlined in the Prizes section above.
- Judging: Entries will be judged equally on the basis of creativity, originality, and appropriateness within the Guild Wars world.
- Deadline: Entries must be emailed to email@example.com by Noon Pacific on Friday, June 22, 2007 (19:00 GMT), and must be received by 11:59 PM Pacific on Friday, June 22, 2007 (6:59 GMT on Saturday, June 23, 2007).
- Announcement: Winners will be announced on or before July 31, 2007. If a winner cannot be contacted at the email address supplied, or is contacted and does not respond by signing and returning to us for our receipt within the time indicated on the documents, an Affidavit of Eligibility (or, in Canada, a Declaration of Compliance with Contest Rules) and Liability/Publicity Release, or refuses or is ineligible to accept a prize, the prize may be awarded to the next highest ranking entrant on or about August 31, 2007. Any prize not claimed by one alternately chosen winner will not be awarded. Prizes are not transferable. No substitution of prize for cash or other goods and services is permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to provide a substitute prize of approximately equal value. Taxes on prizes (including, without limitation, income or withholding taxes or duties), if any, are the sole responsibility of the individual winners. If a winner is under 18 or a minor in his or her state/province/country of residence, his or her parent or guardian must also sign the applicable release and documentation. A list of winners can also be obtained by sending a self addressed stamped envelope to Guild Wars: Eye of the North Brand the Bosses Contest, ArenaNet, Inc., 227 Bellevue Way NE #75, Bellevue, WA 98004. (Residents of Canada may omit return postage.)
- By entering the Guild Wars: Eye of the North Brand the Bosses Contest, (a) you agree to all of the terms and conditions of these Official Rules and Conditions, (b) you warrant that your entry is your own original work and that it does not violate any rights of any third party, (c) you assign and agree to assign to Sponsor all rights, title and interest, including, without limitation, copyright, in or to your entry, (d) you agree that Sponsor may post your user or forum name (or real name) and country of residence on Sponsor's website and in any and all publicity and advertising for Sponsor, this Contest or other promotions by Sponsor without any further attribution, notification or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law, (e) you agree to be contacted by Sponsor or its agents by telephone, mail or e-mail, and (f) you agree to sign the documentation set forth in the announcement section immediately above (and have your parent or guardian sign such documentation where applicable or requested by Sponsor). Entries become the property of ArenaNet and will not be returned.
- Sponsor cannot be held responsible for any lost, late, incomplete, incorrect, unintelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected entries, which will be void. Sponsor is not responsible for hardware or software malfunctions, lost or unavailable network connections. Use of a false name, username, mailing address or e-mail account will disqualify an entry and the individual who submitted the entry. Use of obscenities, racist, sexist, hateful or other material or depictions that, in Sponsor's judgment, are inappropriate or offensive, will disqualify an entry. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, can disqualify from this contest and any other contest conducted by Sponsor, any person who, in Sponsor's reasonable suspicion, tampers with the entry process or the operation of the web site, or who otherwise violates these rules or any part of the Guild Wars User Agreement. Sponsor has the right to terminate, suspend or modify this contest, in whole or in part, at any time and without prior notice, if, in Sponsor's judgment, the contest is altered, corrupted or cannot be completed as planned due to any conditions beyond Sponsor's control, or at Sponsor's reasonable discretion. Incomplete entries are invalid, and entrants with incomplete entries will be disqualified.
- Judges will be comprised of members of the ArenaNet staff. The decisions of the judges will be final.
- This contest is void where prohibited, restricted or taxed by law.
- Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may edit and modify any submission before posting. Sponsor and its parent company, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and publicity agencies and all of their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, representatives, successors and assigns are not in any way responsible or liable for damages, loss or injury resulting from participation in this contest or acceptance, loss or use of any prizes awarded in this contest. You further agree that in any cause of action, Sponsor's liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the contest, and in no event shall Sponsor be liable for attorney's fees. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages. Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved under the laws of the State of Washington, without respect to any conflict of law issues, and entrant agrees that such shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the U.S. Federal and State Courts of King County, Washington, U.S.A. You assume sole liability for injuries, including personal injuries and/or damage to property or prize, caused or claimed to be caused by participating in this contest or the acceptance, loss, shipment, or use of any prize awarded. Sponsor is not responsible for any failure to contact entrants, whether due to technical or human error. All of Sponsor's decisions regarding the application and interpretation of the rules are final.
© 2007 ArenaNet Inc. All rights reserved. NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Eye of the North, ArenaNet and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.