Guild Wars Halloween Art Contest 2007
The Winners have been announced! Click here to see all who received recognition in the third annual Guild Wars Halloween Art Contest!
As the nights grow long and leaves shift from green to gold, while squirrels scurry to prepare their winter stores and autumn curls chilly fingers around the mornings, our thoughts turn, once again, to that most beloved of holiday seasons—Halloween!
With that in mind, you are hereby invited to put your imagination and creative talents to work crafting Halloween art with a Guild Wars theme. This is our third annual opportunity to celebrate the season with the entire Guild Wars community. Past contests have provided many wonderful chills, thrills, and a few chuckles, too. (You can see the winners from 2005 here, and from 2006 here.) Dream up your own way to bring a Halloween twist to Guild Wars, and enter the contest before October 15, 2007!
How to Enter:
- Create a concept and bring it to life:
- Carve a pumpkin—real or not—and take a photograph.
- Create a blueprint for other pumpkin carvers.
- Sketch a costume by hand or on the computer. If you're extra creative, stitch up that costume, add some makeup or temporary tattoos, and model it in a photograph.
- Design a desktop image to share the joy in your home, school, or office.
- Decorate a cake, bake some cookies, compose a menu, build an edible haunted house—put your culinary skills to the task.
- Spruce up your homestead and send a photograph.
- For each entry, submit a jpeg image of your original work (scanned or photographed) or a saved file of your computer-generated art and attach it to an email. (Please use compression to reduce the file size, when possible.)
- Include your first and last name, age, full mailing address (including country), and a valid, preferred email address with your entry.
- If you wish to be mentioned by "handle" or in-game name rather than your first and last name, please indicate your preference in your entry and provide your handle or in-game name in addition to the information listed above.
- Submit your entry to: email@example.com. Please be sure to use "Guild Wars Halloween Art Contest 2007" as the subject line. If you would prefer to send your entry via postal mail, use the following address:
Guild Wars Halloween Art Contest
227 Bellevue Way NE #75
Bellevue, WA 98004 USA
- No other methods of entry will be accepted.
- Prizes: 90 winners (1 one Grand Prize Winner, 9 Winners, 20 Honorable Mentions, and 60 Finalists) will receive one of the prizes below. The Grand Prize Winner and 9 Winners will also have their creations displayed on the Guild Wars website. (The total estimated retail value of all prizes exceeds $3,140 US.) The prizes are as follows:
- Grand Prize Winner (1 awarded): One Razor Guild Wars Death Adder Mouse; one signed copy of Guild Wars: Eye of the North; one complete set of Guild Wars Series 2 Skill Pins; plus an access key to acquire the ultra-rare in-game miniature, Kanaxai.
(Approximate total retail value of package: $150.00 US.)
- Winners (9 awarded): One Razor Guild Wars Death Adder Mouse; one signed copy of Guild Wars: Eye of the North or one complete set of Guild Wars Series 2 Skill Pins; plus an access key to acquire the rare in-game miniature, Vizu
(Approximate total retail value of package: $110.00 US.)
- Honorable Mentions (20 awarded): One signed copy of Guild Wars: Eye of the North or one complete set of Guild Wars Series 2 Skill Pins; plus an access key (randomly selected) to acquire one of the following special in-game miniatures: Panda or Island Guardian.
(Approximate total retail value of package: $40 US.)
- Finalists (60 awarded): Four random Guild Wars Series 1 Skills Pins; plus an access key (randomly selected) to acquire one of the following in-game miniatures: Longhair Yeti, Naga Raincaller, or Oni.
(Approximate total retail value of package: $20 US.)
- Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, style, and the melding of Halloween into a Guild Wars theme.
- Deadline for entries to be received is 6:00 p.m. PDT on Monday, October 15, 2007.
- Winners will be announced on or before Halloween 2007 and will be posted on www.guildwars.com.
- One entry per person.
- Originality: Entries must be the creation of the contestant and cannot be taken from any other source. Your submission must not infringe on any patent, copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right, or any privacy, publicity or publishing rights of any third party, or be libelous, obscene or otherwise contrary to law. Please, no clip art, tracings, or art from other sources such as games, movies, or books.
- Eligibility (age): As of October 1, 2007, contestants must be 13 years of age or older. Due to legal requirements, European contestants must be 18 years of age or older as of that date, or must have a parent or guardian enter in the minor's name.
- Eligibility (exclusions): Employees of ArenaNet Inc., NCsoft Europe Ltd., and NCsoft Corporation (collectively, “Sponsor"), and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives, advertising, promotion and publicity agencies and members of the immediate families (defined as parents, children, siblings and spouse, regardless of where they reside) or households of such employees are not eligible.
- Eligibility (location): Entries will be accepted from legal residents of the United States (excluding the State of Rhode Island, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories, military installations and commonwealths), Canada (excluding Quebec), Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. (Canadian residents will be required to answer an additional mathematical question in order to claim their prize.)
- Prize: There are ninety (90) prizes available. The Grand Prize Winner and nine winners will have an image of each of their projects posted on the official website when the winners announcement is made. In addition, winners will receive prizes as outlined in the Prizes section above.
- Judging: Entries will be judged equally on the basis of creativity, style, and the melding of Halloween into a Guild Wars theme.
- Deadline: Entries must be received by 6:00 p.m. PDT on Monday, October 15, 2007.
- Announcement: Winners will be announced on or before Halloween, 2007. If a winner cannot be contacted at the email address they submitted, or is contacted and does not respond by signing and returning to us for our receipt within the time indicated on the documents, an Affidavit of Eligibility (or, in Canada, a Declaration of Compliance with Contest Rules) and Liability/Publicity Release, or refuses or is ineligible to accept a prize, the prize may be awarded to the next highest ranking entrant on or about November 15, 2007. Any prize not claimed by one alternately chosen winner will not be awarded. Prizes are not transferable. No substitution of prize for cash or other goods and services is permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to provide a substitute prize of approximately equal value. Taxes on prizes (including, without limitation, income or withholding taxes or duties), if any, are the sole responsibility of the individual winners. If a winner is under 18 or a minor in his or her state/province/country of residence, his or her parent or guardian must also sign the applicable release and documentation.
- By entering the Guild Wars Halloween Art Contest 2007, (a) you agree to all of the terms and conditions of these Official Rules and Conditions, (b) you warrant that your entry is your own original work and that it does not violate any rights of any third party, (c) you assign and agree to assign to Sponsor all rights, title and interest, including, without limitation, copyright, in or to your entry, (d) you agree that Sponsor may post your user or forum name (or real name) and hometown on Sponsor's website and in any and all publicity and advertising for Sponsor, this Contest or other promotions by Sponsor without any further attribution, notification or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law, (e) you agree to be contacted by Sponsor or its agents by telephone, mail or e-mail, and (f) you agree to sign the documentation set forth in the announcement section immediately above (and have your parent or guardian sign such documentation where applicable or requested by Sponsor). Entries become the property of ArenaNet and will not be returned.
- Sponsor cannot be held responsible for any lost, late, incomplete, incorrect, unintelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected entries, which will be void. Sponsor is not responsible for hardware or software malfunctions, lost or unavailable network connections. Use of a false name, username, mailing address or e-mail account will disqualify an entry and the individual who submitted the entry. Use of obscenities, racist, sexist, hateful or other material or depictions that, in Sponsor's judgment, are inappropriate or offensive, will disqualify an entry. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, can disqualify from this contest and any other contest conducted by Sponsor, any person who, in Sponsor's reasonable suspicion, tampers with the entry process or the operation of the web site, or who otherwise violates these rules or any part of the Guild Wars User Agreement. Sponsor has the right to terminate, suspend or modify this contest, in whole or in part, at any time and without prior notice, if, in Sponsor's judgment, the contest is altered, corrupted or cannot be completed as planned due to any conditions beyond Sponsor's control, or at Sponsor's reasonable discretion. Incomplete entries are invalid, and entrants with incomplete entries will be disqualified.
- Judges will be comprised of members of the Sponsor's staff. The decisions of the judges will be final.
- This contest is void where prohibited, restricted or taxed by law.
- Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may edit and modify any submission before posting. Sponsor and its parent company, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and publicity agencies and all of their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, representatives, successors and assigns are not in any way responsible or liable for damages, loss or injury resulting from participation in this contest or acceptance, loss or use of any prizes awarded in this contest. You further agree that in any cause of action, Sponsor's liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the contest, and in no event shall Sponsor be liable for attorney's fees. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages. Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved under the laws of the State of Washington, without respect to any conflict of law issues, and entrant agrees that such shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the U.S. Federal and State Courts of King County, Washington, U.S.A. You assume sole liability for injuries, including personal injuries and/or damage to property or prize, caused or claimed to be caused by participating in this contest or the acceptance, loss, shipment, or use of any prize awarded. Sponsor is not responsible for any failure to contact entrants, whether due to technical or human error. All of Sponsor's decisions regarding the application and interpretation of the rules are final.
© 2007 ArenaNet Inc. All rights reserved. NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Eye of the North, and ArenaNet and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.