Wintersday 2006 Festival News: Grenth Wins; Event Extended!
The winner of the annual Wintersday battle between Grenth and Dwayna has been announced: Grenth, God of Death and Ice, was declared overall victor of the nine individual face-offs that took place on Wintersday. This means that winter will linger for just a while longer in Tyria and Elona.
Through Noon PST (20:00 GMT) on Thursday, January 11, 2007, players can continue to compete in the Snowball Arena, join in the holiday quests and missions, and dodge Grentchies in Kamadan and Lion's Arch. Through participation in various activities, players will accumulate Candy Cane Shards which they may exchange for Peppermint Shields, Gingerbread Foci, and Candy Cane weapons of all kinds. And of course, players can also trade those shards with the Wintersday Gift Givers in Lion's Arch and Kamadan for valuable Wintersday Gifts that contain a variety of exciting items!
The extension of the Wintersday Festival will afford players in Taiwan the opportunity to join the event, for many of them were without Internet services during a period of time following the recent earthquake in that area of the world. Unclaimed gifts collected during the Wintersday Finales, and those donated by players, will be shared with Taiwanese players in a mini-event next week.
Enjoy the Winterday Festivities for a few days longer, and we wish you all the best in the New Year!
Wintersday 2006 Event: Annual Battle between Grenth and Dwayna
Wintersday approaches, can you all see the signs?
The grentchies and the snowmen will soon all align.
For a battle in the end is what we shall face;
To determine the wintery fate of the whole human race.
Dwayna and Grenth will vie for our favor;
Through threats and presents of a wintergreen flavor.
In the end one shall win, one shall surely prevail;
And the length of the winter is the final detail.
So stock up on snowballs and clear all your packs;
For gifts of all sorts will rain down on your backs.
And if you should see a small urchin or three;
Remember the spirit of the season — 'Tis better to give than receive.
Wintersday is almost upon us. That time of the year when the gods Dwayna and Grenth fight over who will control the weather during the coming months. Will Grenth have his way and plunge the world into eternal winter or will Dwayna be able to melt enough hearts to bring about an early thaw? You will have the final say as the gods vie for your vote during the grand finale.
The Wintersday event begins on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 and runs for 13 days, with the grand finale taking place on Monday, January 1, 2007. During the event, the cities of Kamadan, Lion's Arch, Droknar's Forge, and Ascalon City will shine like beacons in the winter night sky with festive, Wintersday decorations, while holiday NPCs walk the streets lending their holiday spirit to this jolly season.
In addition to the grand finale, with its promise of flowing (and dropping) presents, citizens of these cities will be invited to participate in special holiday quests, missions, and games, all with their own rewards. And don't be surprised if a snowball fight breaks out before the end of the festival.
So, mark your calendars and be sure to show up for another special Wintersday event in the world of Guild Wars. It promises to be the event of the season!
Even before the grand finale, wherein Dwayna and Grenth promise the crowds gifts to gain their favor, Wintersday will provide many opportunities for wintry fun and presents. Here's what you can expect:
- The return of two well-known Wintersday quests, which give you the chance to side with Grenth and his grentchies or Dwayna and her snowmen even before their final showdown. Unsure of which deity to support? Try both quests to pick your favorite!
- New for this Wintersday season are two all new quest chains revolving around the two competing holiday gods. Polar bears, reindeer, and devious presents – Oh my!
- Venture into the Underworld for a series of repeatable snowball fights against either the forces of Grenth or the forces of Dwayna. Take control of piles of presents to ensure your side’s victory in this frosty fray.
- For another dose of snowball mayhem, try out the PvP snowball fight. Random forces will unite within an arena to fight for either Grenth or Dwayna. The first team to gather five presents for its patron deity will win the day.
- And, if you believe the old adage that it is better to give than to receive, try your hand at the city event game in Lion’s Arch, Droknar’s Forge, Kamadan, and Ascalon City during the festivities. Deliver presents to the children before the grentchies destroy Wintersday. And you never know, the little urchins might just reward you with something special for your generosity.
In addition to the seasonally appropriate headwear you can receive from either Dwayna or Grenth at the end of the grand finale, here are some other gifts and items you might see during the Wintersday festival:
- Winter Gift: What surprise will you find inside? "Unwrap" it to find out.
- Snowman Summoner: Need an instant snowman? This gift is for you.
- Eggnog: The holiday season's staple drink.
- Spiked Eggnog: A more potent glass of nog for the hale and hearty. Please imbibe responsibly—don't drink and quest.
- Green Candy Cane: The return of the adventurer's favorite candy treat.
- Rainbow Candy Cane: A different flavor of candy cane that should also make those long days of questing much more enjoyable.
- Yuletide Tonic: Drink this tonic if you want to be one of Dwayna's little helpers during the festivities.
- Frozen Globs of Ectoplasm: You'll need some of this collectible item when you get low on Yuletide Tonic.
- Candy Cane Shards: Collect these colorful fragments by questing and competing. The outcome of Wintersday hangs in the balance, and your contribution of Candy Cane Shards may make all the difference. Besides, you never know what somebody might trade for these once the festivities come to a close. Tip: Hold onto those shards until the Wintersday finale and use them for good (or mischievous) intent!
- Fruitcake: A tasty holiday staple that is sure to put a little spring in your step.
- Special Rewards: In the tradition of the season, you'll receive special headgear during the Wintersday finale. And even better, you'll get a new means of storing it, as well.
We look forward to seeing you in the Wintersday Event, and welcoming you to another year of fun and frolicsome festivities!